Friday, August 13, 2004

brace yourself, folks

what's the opposite of retro-fitting? you know, fitting for the future? that's what i'm getting done this afternoon. my new clothes are going to be tailored so that they look Convincing and i look Assertive, rather than like a Little Girl Pretending to be in the Mob. (the suits have broad shoulders.)

all that miracle-making can't take place in a single afternoon. my transformed clothes will be mailed to me in my new apartment along with my last cty paycheck and whatever you choose to send me, internet.

every time i pack for someplace, i try to take a representative sample of books with me. the sample varies each time but tends to include some old favorites, some promising looking young things i haven't tried yet, some poetry, and some snark. the idea is kinda a paralell one to the hope of a young cabaret singer that a movie mogul will happen in while she's singing her heart out and offer her a contract. except, in my case, the "contract" would be for friendship and admiration.

this may be my last post as a dc resident fully dependent on her parents. i've enjoyed that life.
on the bright side, my new apartment has free wireless.

No comments: