Wednesday, October 20, 2004

most fun i've ever had watching baseball

and i'm by myself, watching in my pajamas, no beer, no peanuts. it's like a mastercard ad or something. only 2 innings left. someone pointed out to me today that if boston wins (!!) and houston wins, the world series, starting saturday, will be MASSACHUSETTS vs. TEXAS.

now tell me that isn't the hotttest thing you can think of. the world is one big echo chamber. / god has a sense of humor.

on an unrelated note, earlier today i got a strong flash of college while walking down the 2nd avenue. i remembered walking into the sunshine of swarthmore's prettiest courtyard, kohlberg, wearing my gold pleather skirt with the blue jacket over it and stopping to laugh with one friend after another. that will never happen again. college was the best social experience i could imagine. better socially than academically even, and that's saying something. over the course of college, i became a sharper and more focused student and thinker; but more importantly, i think, i became a stable person, a better friend, and a girlfriend who could take the position seriously. as opposed to the kind of girlfriend i was when i was 13 and i thought nothing of breaking up with someone in a letter on valentines day.

the red sox fans all look so earnest. it's heartbreaking. i respond to earnest, if i'm not too busy laughing at it.

have i mentioned i now love my job? i have a job, an apartment, and a fella, all of which that i love -- so maybe it's no wonder everything else that could come into play has. first my laptop was stolen. then i got a bad cold. then, of course, i heard that my dad had decided to make a brief stop in cheney, clinton, and charrow country. his heart's mostly fine but my dad has never been in the hospital before, to my knowledge. even though he's out again now, i'm tense.

the future of this country, and now my father as well. at least it's the 9th innings and very soon i won't have to worry about the red sox anymore. one way or the other.

No comments: