Tuesday, February 15, 2005

take this moment, mary jane, and be selfish

it's official: ben and i will be moving out. where to is not yet official but we & our roommate decided it would be for the best for all involved to terminate the lease early. i'd already started looking at places -- in the spirit of adventure, i'd roamed far and wide, considered apartments in exotic locales an hour away in both directions. in the end, what i decided, like dorothy before me, was that my heart's desire was in my own backyard: i want to be a neighborhood i've already lived in and loved. the village, then, or brooklyn heights.

moving will be a pain but the breath i will draw when it's done, when ben and i are settled somewhere sans keyboard-mauling cat, will be worth it.
actually that's pinning an awful lot on the cat which it only somewhat deserves. i'm not comfortable discussing anything besides the cat in detail yet.

people have been great about this. as of press time, both my brothers, my mom and my dad were all willing to drop what they were doing and drive to new york for the sole purpose of helping me move. once the blooms make that happen -- and compared to rosh hashanah open houses and pesach seders, brunches and shabbes dinners, what's a little shuffling of furniture? -- then we're going to take my friend claire out to dinner, cuz rather than let me go through a second day of apartment shopping alone, claire offered herself as wingman. indeed, she was there when i saw the place that might be It.

& of course, my valentine, who trusted me go apartment shopping alone in the first place, and who has been nothing but supportive and understanding even when he didn't have the time to be.

i'm hoping: new place, new start. sometimes it is that simple.

No comments: