Sunday, August 05, 2001

i just installed reblogger, which means all of you can comment directly on particular posts instead of using the guestbook. and fight there, or joke around, or whatever. i'm really excited -- i've been trying to do that for ages.

today's been calm. i watched the pillow book, which was all right, tho during one of the nude scenes (of which about half the film is composed) it occurred to me that my parents could walk in. i was in the library which is my sanctuary, but it also happens to be my father's and he doesn't always knock. growing up, he was chill about me deciding what art i exposed myself to -- with a few notable exceptions. in living color and married w/ children were, in his opinion, trash, and he didn't want my brothers and me watching them; he saw like water for chocolate on my shelf when i was 12 and told me i was too young for it; and he didn't want me reading the narnia books b/c he said they were thinly veiled christian propaganda. he's right, they are, but he didn't need to worry about me being influenced and wanting to convert: if anything, he should have voiced concern over mists of avalon. not that i would have listened; i never did. he didn't really care either. i think he respected my independence, and he was too pleased to be having a child who was so in love w/ words.

as ilana put it, tinman scored! i've only been following his blog for a couple weeks but he has an earnestness in his journal i find really appealing. so good for him.
and mermaniac has a kickass collection of show links. i've been very quiet since my friendship w/ shira died about my love for certain shows, except w/ marc of course. but sondheim holds a special, undiminished place in my heart. lyrics have always been what's most important to me, and he's a lyrical genius.

my silly father bought pulp fiction today despite the fact that he'd never seen it. so he watched it and of course he didn't like it and we argued this evening about its merits. it's one of my top five (in no particular order, the others are shawshank, terms of endearment, when harry met sally, and chinatown. others in the top ten: fight club, princess bride, being john malkovich, magnolia, empire records.)
and i talked to michael today for a while. he invited me to take a year off and travel the world w/ him. it's funny: he still thinks of me as 16 and i still call him "professor" (where did that come from?). i had to turn down the globe-trotting proposal, however tempting. sweden spring semester is enuf of an adventure for me.

No comments: