Monday, May 13, 2002

hmm. inevitable return-from-travel letdown, fatigue and sickness, or just plain depression -- it's hard to tell. i toddled along on a tepid trip to h&m, where i got a pair of pants on sale that need to be hemmed. looking at the cloth puddles around my ankles in the dressing room, and then up at my squat, unsmiling reflection (ye gods, what a waste these hips will be if i never have children) i decided it'd be preferable -- and in the longterm more useful -- to be stretched myself. have the tall skinny blonde women woken up from hibernation or am i just suddenly noticing them everywhere because i've been away and back? maybe now that summer's hovering on the horizon, they've shed their coats and are out in full force, flaunting already-bronze corners.

alitalia was kind enough to return my duffel bag this afternoon, taped up with bright blue indications that it's been security cleaned. i hope they enjoyed pawing through my dirty shirts. lots of mail today in fact: a letter from pakketrans in german; a contract signed by my boss-to-be at americans united inviting me to formally accept my position, which i will do with pleasure; and a lovely carepackage from the young gentleman, who knows that oatmeal cookies are the key to a young lady's heart (especially a young lady in an otherwise empty kitchen.) he included a promising-looking mixtape that unfortunately i have no means to listen to, but i'm in the process of tracking down a walkman.

i'm not too consistent an a. o. scott fan, but this review made me smile and yearn to be back in my old caustic-critic position. (registrated required. sorry about that.)

No comments: