Thursday, May 02, 2002

i should make horror movies. i know exactly what to do. having lived near-20 years as a jumpy and over-imaginative nervous female is excellent preparation. what's scariest, just as what's funniest, is incongruity. what you don't expect: the face behind yours in the mirror. the figure in the chair in the corner. the unsmiling child. men in bear suits. men in bunny suits. in a pinch just men will do. especially in alleys.

i burst out of a nightmare at 3:45 this morning. as i watched the blue outside my window grow more and more vivid, to a soundtrack of birdsong, three notes on repeat, i reflected that i've never noticed sunrise or -set in this country. why is that? smilla kept me company for a long hour before i could finally drift off again, til 8:30 -- time to drag myself back to DIS and finish this paper. joy of joys, it's done, and i have a whole day of stresslessness to enjoy.

also: a reminder of why i love my skool after all. matt rubin, the spokesperson of the fascists, incidentally, is our dearly-beloved student body president, and a personal friend. i wrote one of my favorite poems with him on my lap and he gave me the only compliment i've ever had to look up in the dictionary. all hail, ruby.

No comments: