Saturday, December 15, 2001

i've been up a whole 2 hours and i've yet to start my movie (chungking express, a wong kar-wai film which was the one of the best i saw over the summer; and as i was renting them five at a time that's not saying nothing. funny: i guess i must have seen about 50 but not that many made an impression on me. happiness definitely did; network and bonnie and clyde (mmm faye dunaway); breaking the waves and hilary and jackie (mmm, emily watson); lock stock and snatch (mmm guy ritchie) ... what else? i'll have to look back. to be fair, some of my rentals i'd seen before. classics like harold and maude earned a new, deeper place in my heart. well. i'm babbling. moving on.)

second day in a row i've woken post-noon. also second day in a row i've woken past noon having gone to sleep post-4. damn conversations! early in the evening, before i realized i'd be staying almost til damn yet again i went on a downloading bend. ross walked in at one point, smelling of cigarettes from the wild trivial pursuit party happening downstairs, and looked uneasily at my playlist. shins, strokes, johnathan richmond, ryan adams, white stripes, poe -- that's not the music i listen to! i defended my experimentation; he left, returned moments later with the white stripes album, and descended to rejoin the fracas.
this morning he wrote a sweet meditation about the purity of my music taste. i'd point you to it but it's already been buried under seven thousand more paragraphs of text. it included the line, "Ester is actively developing her own musical identity, one that in some ways is more honest and concrete than mine." ha HA! that's right, baby. oh yeah. funny -- my "musical identity" is such a compilation of different influences -- i was downloading richard shindell, beth orton, dave carter and tracy grammer, and sara and tegan with equal speed.

ross gave me a roches' album for hannukah whose sentimental value i didn't immediately get, and rebecca knit me a magenta kerchief i immediately donned. i dreamt that ben brought me a blank card and was going to be fill it in but couldn't find a pen. finally did laundry yesterday. yay! finally to watch movie.

No comments: